Wednesday, November 3, 2010

the opposite of love

..."Ruth, how did you figure out who you wanted to be?" I ask, but this is not exactly what I want to know. What I really want to ask, but don't, is when will I become who I am supposed to be.
     "I haven't yet figured out who I want to be, dear." Ruth says, answering both my questions, and then throws her head back in a hearty unselfconscious laugh.
     "I'm not kidding. I haven't figured it out yet. but don't tell my daughters that. I lie to them every day. I tell them they will figure it out with time. To just keep doing what they are doing. But let me let you in on a little secret, because I think you can handle it.
She leans in to whisper i my ear.
     "All parents lie to  their children. It's our duty. But the truth of the matter is, I don't thinkmany of us know what we are doing. We all walk around much of the time confused and very much alone"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

if the spirit moves you, type some words