Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RRH

Once upon a time I was Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleybaccam/stunning-red-riding-hood-photo-shoots

Maybe I was in first grade. 


etsy source


Did I wear tights with black Mary Jane shoes? 
etsy source
 Did I have a white and red blouse with puffed sleeves & lace at the wrists? 
etsy source
Was there was a white pinafore over the blouse?
etsy source

Maybe the blouse was a dress then? 
etsy source
I think. I'm not sure. 


etsy source
I do remember my mother sewed my red hooded cape
etsy source

I carried a plastic picnic basket that now reminds me of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.
etsy source

I won most original costume in my class, for the girls. 
etsy source
Toni, who was a blue crayon, won best overall.
 
etsy source

I was jealous. I wanted to be best overall. 
etsy source

I didn't know what original even meant. Was it something good? 

etsy source
I probably asked Toni if her mom sewed her costume. 
etsy source
She said she bought it at a store or off some catalog. 
etsy source

I wondered how that was better? 
etsy source


Why was it considered more special than mine?

etsy source

I still wonder, is it better to  be best overall or most original?
etsy source


I don't know. Do you?
etsy source


I know, it depends on what's important to you, or who's definition.
etsy source

Wouldn't it be better if we didn't let other people define us?
polyvore source
Wouldn't it be better if we didn't care?

Wouldn't it be better if we didn't have labels?
Wouldn't it be better to not feel trapped in boxes, 
   we ourselves or others put us in?

3 comments:

  1. I was just working on a Little Red Riding Hood! I love her. I think she is my favorite storybook charater. (Well except Alice). Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your images of Red Riding Hood. I've alway wanted a red cape since childhood - maybe I'll sew myself one. Have you seen the trailer for the new Red Riding Hood film starring Amanda Seyfried? Might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah what a collection! There is something so whimsical about that story. :)

    That paper cut of RRH and the wolf in the apple needs to be mine, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

if the spirit moves you, type some words