Saturday, October 8, 2011

in central park


I saw musical instruments.


Eventually these instruments were played, but I was too tired to get up from the bench, & take photographs.

The trees & grass were a calm reprieve, from all the city chaos, & noise, I had been embedded in.

I don't know why I expected the park to be a small, city park. Before seeing it, I had these ideas imagined in my mind, from books & stories. I passed statues I thought I would never miss. I don't know what I was expecting, like some big sign saying, Here it is. Well that must've been a fantasy.
Central Park felt like a sanctuary. I would have liked to spend more time there. I was longing for peace. I missed the quiet. I missed the sky. 
I wanted to see Strawberry Fields, but it was too far away, from where we were.  We kept asking people, who told us it was this way, but we never seemed to arrive. It felt like we had been walking nonstop. Our legs were sore, our stomachs were empty. 

We saw dancing. My friend got up close to the fashion shoot. I was sitting down, on the cement ledge, talking to a New Yorker about his city. I don't think I ever asked his name. He told me they had to get permits to dance. They probably had to get permits for the fashion shoot. They had to get permits for everything, at the park. He told me about the concerts there at Central Park. He asked me where we were from, how long we were there, & what had we seen, & done.
 I asked him what Strawberry Fields was exactly? I mean, was it just the mark on the ground, with the word "Imagine," and flowers? I realized I was never gonna find it. I realized this image, I'd built in my mind. The hero musician, I've loved since 9th grade, he wasn't really there, was he? I called my husband crying. He told me it was all going to be okay. 
We saw a union strike. That man in the flowered pants is on stilts.
 I can still hear them chanting, "Boycott the Boathouse," with their New York accents. I tried to imitate a New York accent, throughout our trip, with my friend, who thought I was ridiculous.

My friend said she wanted to take a pedicab. I didn't want to, because I thought that it was mean to the person, who would have to pull the weight of both of us.

This is Zosef. I'm probably spelling his name wrong. I said, I don't want it to hurt you. He said, "Don't worry. I'm working." I liked Zosef.  Meeting him, was one of my favorite things in NYC.
He had those yellow, union balloons, tied to his pedicabHe told us he was from Mali, of course I wanted to know. He explained it was in West Africa. Then he asked if we heard of Timbuktu? Yes!  :)


He said that someday he wanted to go to Dallas, Texas. I smiled, & laughed. Thinking, why would you ever want to go there?

16 comments:

  1. what a coincidence, the place i went for the photoshoot also named Central Park. oh dear, always love your comment :) yeah he died because of cancer, shocking still :( awesome pictures by the way sweetie <3

    http://mithakomala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. central park is one of my fav places ever ;)
    <3 steffy


    http://steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe you need a permit to dance. It seems ridiculous, but typical for a city, I guess. I love gettin' to know strangers as well. It's funny how most people in a city never smile at each other, but as soon as you talk to 'em, they brighten up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to have those instruments. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even tell you how many hours of my life I've spent in Central Park. It is definitely one of my favorite places in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely post. Central Park seems like a dream place, it must be strange to actually be in somewhere that you see in films and hear about in songs all the time. I love pedicabs! Zosef seems like a really nice person haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos from Central park.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the best place to meet new people is at cities! Central Park I've never been but sounds amazing! will love to go one day. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, lovely post-looks and sounds like you had a great time :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you have me missing New York! Great post.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have the most amazing experiences, and I am so glad you are taking photos along the way just for your readers. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your lovely comments!

    http://purpletweed.blogspot.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. The boy playing the guitar is my son and the girl at the drums is my daughter:)
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. your comments always make me laugh :)))
    (love ur new background<3)

    Central Park looking gorgeous! love your photograph, they all send me little messages :)

    happy week dear,
    teresa
    www.trend-ish.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post as always!!!Thanks for sharing honey!Have a wonderful week!!!

    ReplyDelete

if the spirit moves you, type some words